June 6th 2:00 pm parade begins
Parade starting/staging location: former Roseburg Kmart parking lot arrive between 1:00-1:50 pm.
2757 NW Stewart Parkway, Roseburg, OR 97471
Enter Kmart parking lot at the intersection of Stewart Parkway and Mercy Lane at the traffic light follow cones to graduate and vehicle check in.
Information and Expectations:
· Safety and recognizing 2020 RHS Senior graduates’ is our number one priority.
· Seniors need to identify a family member who will drive the vehicle in the parade so seniors can give their attention to the spectators and school staff.
· Vehicles in the parade procession will need to have the designated RHS parade placard visible on their dash. One vehicle per graduate will be allowed in the procession.
· Each senior will be allowed to have one vehicle in the parade and will need to remain in their vehicle at all times during this event.
· All traffic laws and regulations will need to be followed; no riding in bed of trucks. Parade will have a Roseburg City Police escort. Parade ends as each vehicle exits RHS via Bellows street.
· Seniors will need to convene at the designated staging area location (former Kmart parking lot lot) between 1:00 and 1:30 pm on June 6th.
· Questions please contact RHS administration. 541-440-4144.
Dear RHS graduate and family,
We are excited to share with you the details of this year’s commencement ceremony for the class of 2020. Below you will find important dates, information, ceremony details, and the events of June 6. For us to honor each student as intended, please read this information carefully. We ask that you send a brief response to this email letting us know you received the information and can make your time. Please note, this email was also sent to your child’s @roseburg.k12.or.us email the morning of Wednesday, May 6th. If you and your child have received and reviewed that information already, this is an exact copy of that initial email. We do not need you to send another response if your child has already sent one. If you have questions, please email askRHS@roseburg.k12.or.us.
Caps & Gowns – If you have previously placed an order through Jostens, your cap and gown will be available for pick up on Thursday, May 21 in the front of RHS from 8 AM to 12 PM and 4 PM to 6 PM. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Jostens at 503-255-7120, and inform them you are a Roseburg High School student.
School Fees – Updated statements and borrowed library book lists will be mailed on May 15. The RHS office will be open to assist you May 18 – 21 from 8 AM to 6 PM. We offer the following options to pay your fees: 1. Mail a check to RHS (400 W. Harvard, Roseburg 97470), 2. Call RHS at 541-440-4142 to provide a card number for payment, or 3. Stop by the office during office hours to pay. Social distancing precautions will be in place.
We know the COVID pandemic has affected our families in many ways. If you are unable to pay the full amount, we ask that you contact the Roseburg High School Business Office to arrange for a payment schedule. Diplomas will not be held due to fees.
Pick Up/ Return Items – On Thursday, May 21 from 8 AM to 12 PM and 4 PM to 6 PM students may return textbooks or library books, Chromebooks/hotspots, and pick up locker items.
- Graduation recording will occur on Friday, May 22 (4 PM – 8 PM) and Saturday, May 23 (8 AM – 8 PM) at the RHS Rose Theatre by an assigned time.
- You may bring up to four immediate family members with you. No more than four will be allowed. The family will assist in the ceremony presenting the diploma.
- Please arrive at your scheduled time in your cap and gown. Your specific time is assigned below.
- We ask that you honor the formality of the ceremony and dress appropriately for graduation. Please wear a collared shirts and tie with dress slacks, a dress or other business attire. Students should also wear dress shoes, no flip flops. Please do not decorate your cap or gown.
- Please park in the designated parking lot and remain in your vehicle until it is your scheduled time.
- Follow the signs and enter the building through the Student Center door facing the parking lot (near day care entrance).
- Check in with staff and move to your designated spot in line for the ceremony. It is essential that we follow all social distancing guidelines, keeping 6 feet between families.
- RHS must follow the Oregon Department of Education guidelines for participants:
- If you are sick or have a family member sick with symptoms resembling the flu or coronavirus, stay home.
- Vulnerable people, such as those with underlying conditions and older adults should stay home.
- Maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet during any gathering.
- It is strongly encouraged that you wear a face mask.
- RHS will provide hand sanitizer and facemasks for participants safety if requested.
- Surfaces will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day.
Graduation Day Video Streaming and Parade
- The RHS graduation video will be streamed from the RHS webpage at 11 AM, June 6.
- Only one vehicle per family.
- Staging for the parade will be between 1:00 and 1:30 PM at the K-mart parking lot.
- Students should wear cap and gowns.
- Families are encouraged to decorate their vehicle for the parade.
- Staff will assign parking spots at the staging, to assist in the organization of the parade.
- Parade route and additional information will be sent out to the public prior to graduation.
Timeline of events:
May 18 – 21: Payments for past fees- Roseburg High School Business Office open 8 am to 6 pm.
May 21: Cap and Gown pick up and textbook/device drop off- 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
May 22 and May 23: Individual student graduation walk and diploma - Specific times assigned, see below
June 6: 2020 Roseburg High School Graduation Ceremony 11:00 am – Streamed from RHS homepage
Graduate Parade- Line up begins at 1:00 pm at K-mart parking lot.
RHS announces plans to celebrate Class of 2020
April 30, 2020 - After careful consideration of the latest public health authority guidance as well as feedback from students and families, Roseburg High School has decided to celebrate the commencement of the Class of 2020 on June 6 with a Virtual Graduation Ceremony followed by a Celebratory Parade on campus.
“Our goal is to make this commencement personal and special for all of our seniors as well as their families and community,” said RHS Principal Jill Weber. “We have some wonderful ideas planned for the June 6 events that we are certain will make each student feel honored and celebrated. They deserve to enjoy this milestone just as much as the graduates who came before them, and we will do everything we can to make this possible.”
The decision to hold the virtual commencement adheres to the latest public health edicts on social distancing and large gatherings. RHS administrators also want to ensure that all seniors can participate, and delaying the ceremony may have excluded some graduates who are leaving the area for college, the military or other reasons.
The Graduation Ceremony will be shown online at 11 a.m. June 6. It will start with pre-recorded student and staff speeches broadcast from the RHS theater, each graduate's name read aloud, and include graduates receiving diplomas from family and loved-ones. After the ceremony, the event will transition to a drive-through Celebratory Parade on the RHS campus. Staff, while practicing social distancing guidelines, will line up around the school to greet and honor students and families as they drive through campus. Parade participation will be limited to students and their families.
During the month of May, students and families will be contacted with details about the graduation filming, how to collect caps and gowns, yard signs that honor our graduates, and other items. The school will also announce details to the community on how to access the virtual ceremony.
“We are so proud of our seniors for pulling together and persevering during these difficult times,” Weber said. “We wish nothing but the best for their futures and are grateful that we will be able to support them through this rite of passage.”